Saturday 21 April 2012

Trainspotting (1996)

Finally watched Trainspotting in full for the first time. I've seen the full film in fragments before which really annoyed me, i.e. had to leave before the end a while back, then later on came into it late. I must say it's a lot more enjoyable as the full feature. A great combination of an early Ewen McGregor as the lead married with an early Danny Boyle at the helm makes for a unique experience. It focusses around McGregor's character of Mark Renton, a heroine addict in late 80s Edinburgh and his struggles with both the drugs and his associates. The characterisation is particularly good with characters not falling into archetypes and all with some kind of depth in that none of them are complete angels or demons. You get a real sense for this world, separated from normal everyday life, and the people in it.

I may be biased because of my adoration for Robert Carlyle (Begbie- far left above) and Ewen McGregor (far right).

I never did get the title though, I guess it's explained in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment