Saturday 21 April 2012

Fantastic Mr Fox (2009)

I caught Fantastic Mr Fox in the past few days (my viewing got split in two when something came up), and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I'd dismissed the film when it first got released thinking it wouldn't match up to the children's book just like the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's actually quite a charming film though, and as far as I can remember, quite true to the story with a bit more added at the beginning and end. The most stand out point is the animation, it has a sort of quality where it blurs the line between computer animation and stop-motion and the style it's done in is very reminiscent of the really old and quite creepy clay-motion cartoons when the medium was still young. I can't think of a word that describes it better than charming. Second to the animation is George Clooney as the titular Mr Fox. He brings his trademark coolness to the role and really pulls it off, the character is exactly like I imagined he was when I was 5 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment