Saturday 21 April 2012

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

I managed to catch one of my childhood favourites on TV today: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

Boy was I a stupid kid. The movie is nowhere near as good as I thought it was back then, and Jar Jar Binks may just be what took it from an ok film to a bad film. He's just so fucking annoying. There's also the fact that Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan Kenobi are basically the same character, neither one would be sorely missed if their plot roles were taken up by the other. On the upside, the effects hold up reasonably well, considering the film was made over a decade ago. A good balance between the still-proving-itself modern CGI and physical effects.

One thing that did throw me a bit was the resemblance between Natalie Portman (Padme) and Keira Knightley (Padme's decoy). Obviously this was intentional but it's still striking, especially considering the latter was only 14 and the former 18, though to be fair Knightley looks quite old for her age and Portman very young for hers. Also, I thought the ridiculous costumes for Queen Amidala were stupid when I was a kid, I now realise that they're fucking awesome.

PS: This may be a bit premature by the way, I'm not even finished watching it yet. That's how much it's engaged me.

No comments:

Post a Comment